Meal Plan

18 Jul

Mummy Mad over at the Madhouse shared her meal plan this week. It made me think I should too – to encourage you. Because I’m a bit stuck. I have been trying incorporate at least one new recipe a week, after complaints that I cook “nothing but potatoes and curry”. “Humph!” she says, vaguely aware of a tinge of truth in that accusation. I love curry! And, when faced with the task of preparing proper, grown up meals, I struggle when potatoes are not involved. That was what my mother cooked. It wasn’t dinner if there were no potatoes.

So I got some cookbooks. I have a Chinese one, a stirfry one, a pasta one and a crockpot one. And there are some winners in there. Lemon chicken, for example. Still though, usually I only have 90% of the ingredients. The other 10% make me scratch my head. Even when I put them on the list I can’t always find them. Or I forget all about them and don’t even see them on the list when I am at the shop. Our local supermarket confuses me. It’s like being in a foreign country – yes I am aware that I live in a foreign country, but this is like a “proper” foreign country. The majority of signs and packages are in both Spanish and English. There are any number of things I can’t identify and others I wish I knew what to do with (Cactus, anyone?). So the supermarket makes me confused.

On top of that, now that the hubby is working shifts I have to factor in things that are quick (when he’s working nights), look appetizing and don’t go weird when reheated (odd personal vanity – don’t want people thinking I cook slop).

Then there’s the Turtle, who won’t really eat anything sloppy or stew-like, is hit and miss with everything else and only really thanks me for plain rice or pasta with cheese.

So here’s last week’s plan:

Friday: Chicken stirfry with rice

Saturday: Sausage and pasta

Sunday: Gyoza (Japanese style wontons)

Monday: Crockpot chicken, green peppers and onions with egg noodles

Tuesday: Spaghetti bolognese

Wednesday: Sesame chicken and leek with rice

Thursday: Pork satay

Friday: Sushi (out)

This week, well, I haven’t even thought about it yet. I’ll have to sit down with my cookery books and have a good peruse. Unless you come up trumps?

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Meal Plan”

  1. TheMadHouse July 18, 2010 at 10:12 am #

    Oh I need crock pot receipes, we should make the meal plan thing a regular post. I need lots of inspiration

    • turtleturtleturtle July 18, 2010 at 10:20 am #

      Try here for crockpot recipes. The woman is a marvel!
      I’m going to try and make a meal plan every week. Whether I will or not is a different story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: